Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Crocheting a Rug from Fabric

  One of the gifts I made for this past Christmas was a rug from fabric.  I really enJOYed making it, but man I did not like how it shed.  
   I was inspired by several You Tube Videos and I can see why they used T-shirts and sheets which are knits and finely woven fabrics.  I used curtain, or maybe it was upholstery fabric I got at Restore a couple of years ago.  Even though it seemed to be a substantial but not heavy fabric, it turned out it was loosely woven.  Now I will reconsider such a detail for the next one I make.



***************************************
*A Tutorial Tuesday*
************************
 
 I cut off about 1½ yard increments from the roll of fabric I had. 
At first I used this ruler and cut a length of strips,
then slid the ruler up and cut again. 
As you can see, these strips are 1 inch wide.
Then I decided a faster way would be to fold the fabric, matching the strips of course.
This way worked great with my sharp rotary cutter, 
which worked better after I cleaned it!
Only thing is, 
I got carried away and cut all the way through the fold
which was not according to directions
when wanting to make a continuous strip of fabric.
According to directions, How to Make Sheet Yarn
I was to stop about an inch or 2 before the fold.

 
So I had to go back and cut a slit in each end of the strips so the strips could be looped together.
Lay one end of strip 2 over top of an end of strip 1.
Take the other end of strip 2 and slide through slits of the ends you just laid together
through the bottom and up.


Confusing? Then see a You Tube video (start at the 1:50 mark) to find out how to do this.

 I grabbed an old popcorn bucket
(Mr. G & I LOVE to go to movies and eat popcorn!)
and threw the strips in it.
As I crocheted, I added a strip by the method above.
I simply single crocheted the length of the rug I wanted,
turned and single crocheted back across.
This made a rectangle rug.
As you can see, the tension was a bit off
and I had to tug and pull some more to square it up a bit.
 I decided to wash it to see if it would take away the shedding threads.
That worked!  It stopped shedding!
It turned out to be a rather heavy rug.
I was pleased and hope the receiver is also.
 

********************************
  ********************************
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating the icon used on this page

 

2 comments:

  1. Really love, my crocheted rugs using old sheets are still going strong years later, and love that i can throw them into the washing machine. Our area here is much to dusty to have rugs that can't be washed. thanks for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, great to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that I've been wanting to try for a while, thanks for the tutorial.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.