Monday, October 16, 2017

Memory Mon 68~ One Room Schools

 close to Millersburg, KY, USA
When I was born, folks were still attending one room schools in my neighborhood of Kentucky.
Every single one room school I've seen sitting out in rural fields are all built exactly alike.
By the time I started school, they had all been closed in our county and maybe the state by about 2 years.
The opening of a new elementary school in my neighborhood, closed several one room schools.
Like education usually does, philosophy came full circle in the late 90s & early 2000 in Kentucky,
with the Kentucky Education Reform Act (KERA)
by putting at least 3 grades together in one classroom.
Although, by that time, I'd already taught 2 grades in one classroom for many years.
Now that's a whole new set of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.